1/11/2008

Dr. Mohler, the SBC, and Calvinism

It is now old news that Dr. Al Mohler, President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, will be nominated for president of the SBC at the 2008 Southern Baptist Convention in Indianapolis, IN. He is the third announced candidate behind Wiley Drake and Bill Wagner.

I predicted when the news first broke that Dr. Mohler's position on Calvinism will become an important issue leading up to to the Convention. It seems as if my predictions are becoming reality already. The current edition of The Western Recorder, the state baptist paper for Kentucky, discusses Mohler's position on this issue at length in its story announcing his candidacy.

I guess it is no surprise really. The rising controversy within the SBC on this issue makes it an important part of the story, at least among many in the SBC. Unfortunately, I fear that the closer we get to the Convention the more we will see Calvinism misrepresented in an attempt to try and sway the vote away from Mohler; I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not stumping for his presidency necessarily. I am, however, stumping for integrity within the convention when it comes to the facts of this doctrine. Regardless of which theological cloth you are cut from we must resist the temptation to misrepresent each other.

No comments: