1/03/2008

No top ten list for me...just thankful

It seems that the proper thing for bloggers to do during these early days of 2008 is to create a 'top 10' list of some kind. For seminary students or professors it seems to be mostly their favorite books.

I just want to thank God for a wonderful year in 2007. He was there with me and Michelle through some trying times as well as times of great ease & comfort. We praise Him for abundant grace in all of our experiences.

Personally, the most trying experience for me during 2007 was the complications my dad experienced following knee replacement surgery. I don't know if it was the fact that he could have easily died, or if I just can't accept the fact that he is no longer the strong, healthy man I remember from my childhood... probably both.

It forced me face the reality that we are all dying slowly each day and that every breath we take is a gracious gift from God. I am thankful things turned out the way they did, but I know my dad would've been at the feet of his Savior if things would have turned out differently. This has made me more thankful for him in general.

At 75 years of age the prospect of death for him is getting closer than I want to think about. There are more years behind us than there will be to come. But, those years are full of wonderfully happy memories.

He will leave a wonderful spiritual legacy and he taught me more than I could ever list here. In particular, he taught me by word and deed to show respect, work hard, and do the right thing even when it isn't easy or popular. Most importantly, he taught me about Jesus. Thanks dad!

As 2008 picks up steam and we get back into the hustle and bustle of our daily routines I pray that we all will seek to honor Christ in everything. Trust in His grace and don't take anything for granted.

Blessings on you!

No comments: